Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"aren't we all?" (High school life part two)


Kominami commented in response to my previous entry on high school identity:



I still don't think I belong to the so-called high-agari people in the ICU(univ.) community.

And in ICU high school I was keeping myself to myself a lot.

Which doesn't mean I was like you Kan, because that wouldn't ring true. So don't worry.(hahaha)

All I wanted to say was.. aren't we all?


That basically summarises part two of 'Coming to Terms with my High School Life'.


I am also like him. I don't identify with the 'high-agari' lot at uni. And I took it quite extreme, especially at the beginning, where I deliberately tried not to associate myself with that place.


But Mr. Kominami says: aren't we all?


The strange revelation I had after my visit to high school was that indeed, not only that silly chap Mr. Kominami but a significant number of graduates felt that they did not identify with their high school culture. In many ways they assert that they do not want to go back to their high school years, and feel little emotional attachment to the school.


And yet these people (including me) decided to return that day, and met up by chance.


Now liberated from direct influence of HS culture, they were able to talk frankly about these matters, and reflect on their past. There a part of the truth of ICUHS identity is discovered: that the notion of rejecting the high school culture is a prominent characteristic of this identity.


And then I realised that I was not alone, and then 'high-agari' lost negative meaning in me. In a sense, I was liberated from that. I had come to terms with my high school life.



But my friend Kominami, who is included in 'we' when you say "aren't we all?"

No comments:

Post a Comment